Months ago, I got a new USB drive for my Mac OS X, did "newfs
/dev/disk1" on it, and it's been working fine.

I then foolishly did "disklabel -create /dev/disk1", which broke
it. How can I recover my data? I've tried fsck w/ alternate
superblocks to no avail.

"less -f /dev/disk1" shows me the disk label I created:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple\
.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Base</key>
        <integer>131072</integer>
        <key>Size</key>
        <integer>500107730944</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

but also shows me my file names/content, so I'm convinced the data is
still there.

How do I recover my data? I assume newfs creates a UFS by default? Can
I "decode" /dev/disk1 the way one might decode a TAR file?

Posting here because I know Mac OS X is "FreeBSD inside".