What I'd like to know is whether there's any way for me to ensure that the
da0 disk always appears as da0. I don't want it that tomm I plug in another
disk (or change the order of disks, though I'll be more careful with that)
and suddenly da0 is no longer at da0! That would hamper the boot process
... not nice.

It is possible, but not as daX. Use the glabel(8) utility to label your
disks. They will show up as /dev/label/<yourlabel>

The daX devices are created as the device is plugged in, so AFAIK it's
impossible to permanently assign them a certain daX device.

Awesome! That should do. :)

I spent the better half of my day here searching the net for a possible solution! If only I had asked this list first ...

Thanks,

                                - Rakhesh
                                http://rakhesh.net/