On 1/21/08, Schiz0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 1:38 PM, Schiz0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> Now, I'm even in a bigger hole. My power died this weekend, and I
> guess the / partition has some errors on it, so it is being mounted
> read-only. But I'm unable to get into single user mode. I tried
> "shutdown now" and "init 1" and they both brought me back to the
> multi-user login prompt. And there's no menu to reboot and select
> single user mode from.

What do you mean by "multi-user login prompt"?

> Can someone help me either solve the bootloader problem, or just how
> to get into single user mode?

When you reboot the system (e.g. press ctrl-alt-delete or issued the
"shutdown -r now" command), it should present a boot menu with
numbered choices. What happens if you select the one corresponding to
"boot in single user mode". Or do you never get to the menu? If you
never got that menu, you are almost certainly in single-user mode.

Is there anything in /boot/loader.conf ?

- Bob