> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:03:27 +0100 (CET)
> Wojciech Puchar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > http://www.spamsuite.com/node/351
> >
> > jest first step to criminalize unix at all
>
> No really. This case involved an individual who was accessing and
> acquiring information using falsified credentials for an apparent
> nefarious purpose.
>
> If you have a key making machine, does that give you the right to make
> a key to my home and then enter it without my permission? It is not the
> 'tool' that is being addressed here; but rather, what the individual
> did with it. If this individual believed what he was purported to by
> doing was legal and above board, then why did he openly commit perjury
> and use falsified credentials? Quite frankly, it is criminals like him
> who cause other lawful individuals problems.

That's exactly the point.  You are correct that it's the action, not the
tool, that is criminal.

However, it's being pushed all over the world to outlaw the _tools_.  And
this case leaves a lot of ambiguity that hints that the tools themselves
are criminal in nature.

I think most everyone, me included, is concerned about that possible
side-effect.  As far as the cracker, I hope he gets the chair.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com