My printing stopped working quite suddenly.

Until today I used FBSD-6.3-prerelease (today I updated to 6.3-stable)
on compaq armada 1700 laptop to print on a parallel HP laserjet 2100
printer in text mode and for postscript via apsfilter. All was fine.

i use my laptop to print on my laserjet, and it works by default settings, but

/usr/sbin/lptcontrol -d /dev/lpt0.ctl -e

make it much faster.

but nothing like you say. check under DOS, but it may be cable problem.
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0

what i have (i don't disable interrupt)

ppc0: <ECP parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f,0x778-0x77f irq 7 drq 1 on acpi0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/8 bytes threshold

check BIOS settings too.