My primary FreeBSD box is a Dual P3 700 Mhz, which is dandy for my console mode server usage but kind of blows for buildworld and kernels when I want them done a timely fashion. I'd like to do it in a dual-proc VM on my quad core workstation, where it gets done a lot faster.

Is there any documentation for doing buildworld on a faster system for a slower system? Can I just mount the slow system's /usr/src on a mountpoint on the faster system, do the buildworld and buildkernel, and then run the installworld and installkernel as per normal on the slow system? It sounds too easy, so it probably is..

What about ports? I can usually tolerate the ports build times, so its not a big deal, although sometimes the dependencies and larger packages can be toe-tappers as well.