Kris Kennaway wrote:

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to do a ''make buildworld buildkernel'' of the FreeBSD 6.x series sources on a FreeBSD 7.x machine and then install them onto a FreeBSD 6.x machine?

Yes, I did this a few minutes ago in fact :) No special procedures are necessary, world builds are already suitably isolated from the host system for this to work.

Awesome! Infact, I didn't think it would be possible. Like you have separate port packages for the 6.x and 7.x trees, I thought FreeBSD 6.x compiled on a FreeBSD 7.x system won't run. But I was obviously wrong. Guess its different for the base OS eh ...?

Going by the same logic, is it possible that tomm I can download the sources for an OS like say, NetBSD, buildworld for it on my FreeBSD machine, and then install on a NetBSD machine?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

---
http://rakhesh.net/