Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 11:01 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> Maxim Khitrov wrote:

>>> That's not true. I just ran `make buildworld buildkernel` on my
>>>  firewall. Here are ccache stats when the operation finished:
>>>
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] [/root]# ccache -s cache directory /srv/.ccache
>>> cache hit                          12056 cache miss 38 called
>>> for link                      461 multiple source files 1 not a
>>> C/C++ file                    1228 unsupported compiler option
>>> 7 files in cache                    117366 cache size
>>> 679.6 Mbytes max cache size 2.0 Gbytes
>>>
>>> Ccache is used through the entire build process and there is no
>>>  hackery involved. Just follow the directions for changing the
>>> compiler to /usr/local/libexec/ccache/world-cc. On this Celeron
>>> D 1.8 GHz machine rebuilding world and kernel takes 45 minutes
>>> and 40 seconds. I don't recall exactly what it was without
>>> ccache, but I think it was around 3 hours. Just make sure that
>>> you set the CCACHE_HASH_COMPILER variable, otherwise it will
>>> assume that the compiler is different just because its
>>> modification time has changed.
>>>
>>> - Max
>>>
>> No commands where issued on the terminal except the ones showed
>> and ccache was installed with default settings (I didn't modify
>> any files after doing "make install" for ccache)
>
> It doesn't work like that. You have to read
> /usr/local/share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt and configure
> things properly before ccache is used for building the os.
>
> In /etc/make.conf you need to add the following:
>
> .if exists(/usr/local/libexec/ccache) && !defined(NOCCACHE) && \
> (!empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/src*) || !empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/obj*)) CC=
> /usr/local/libexec/ccache/world-cc CXX=
> /usr/local/libexec/ccache/world-c++ .endif
>
> Unless you actually want to use /root/.ccache (and have enough
> space for it), I would move that directory to some other partition.
> In my /etc/csh.cshrc I have this configuration:
>
> setenv CCACHE_DIR           /srv/.ccache setenv CCACHE_PATH
> /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin setenv CCACHE_HASH_COMPILER 1
>
> Once you've done all of this, rebuild the world. You can run ccache
> -s during that process. If the hit/miss numbers stay at 0 then
> ccache is not being used. Check your configuration and try again.
>
> The first run will be slower than normal (though not by much),
> because the cache is being populated for the first time. On the
> second run, however, clear ccache stats (ccache -z) and you should
> see the same results as I've posted above. With the exception of
> only a few files, just about everything should be obtained from the
> cache and not compiled from scratch.
>
> - Max

Here are the results:

First run (wo/ removing /usr/obj) using the above settings:
119.025u 46.448s 8:11.19 33.6%    487+2711k 15027+6126io 28785pf+0w
flosoft# ccache -s
cache directory                     /usr/.ccache
cache hit                              1
cache miss                             3
called for link                        3
unsupported compiler option            1
files in cache                         6
cache size                           188 Kbytes
max cache size                     976.6 Mbytes

Second run:

I miscopied and pasted before I relized it was wrong and had already
started the next run but from memory:

6:?? minutes (< 6:30)
5 cache hits

I cleaned out /usr/obj /usr/.ccache (where I store the cache) for the
next run:

it crashed:

===> lib/csu/i386-elf (obj,depend,all,install)
rm -f .depend
CC='/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world-cc' mkdep -f .depend -a
- -I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../common
- -I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../../libc/include
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crti.S
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtn.S
/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world-cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
- -I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../common
- -I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../../libc/include -Wsystem-headers
- -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter
- -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type
- -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align
- -Wunused-parameter -Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs
- -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:27: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
1713.072u 279.765s 58:14.38 57.0%    6179+8423k 22605+12323io 8667pf+0w

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Tool Developers
Developer, not business, friendly