Bhuvaneswari Ramkumar wrote:
Hi,

I'm a newbie FreeBSD user, I've just installed the 5.5 version.
I know this is a very silly question but I've searched the archives and any
suggestions are welcome.

I think my system is not connected to the internet or any external network,
ping dosent work ( nor ftp or dig)

When I try to do a post-install configuration and choose to enable the inetd
daemon option from the sysinstall, it doesnt invoke the editor to change the
inetd.conf at all, so I did a root-login and enabled ftp, even pftp and
other services in the file as mentioned in the installation document.

But still I'm unable to ftp to any server, the message I get is ftp:
hostname or servname not known or not provided.

Do you guys have any ideas ?

Thanks
Bhuvana
Interesting that you chose 5.5 for a new install, most anyone would recommend something newer. Having said that, is the ether interface enabled? If you run sysinstall, and select post install config, then networking, then the interface in question, try to view/config it based on the parameters your isp gave you. When you're done you should see some lines in /etc/rc.conf specific to your config. Be careful with this file.

Brian