Actually, I discovered that the Thinkpad has a hardware mixer
(controlled by three volume buttons above the keyboard) that FreeBSD
doesn't control. Apparently I had accidentally muted this mixer. Once
I unmuted it, my sound returned. Silly thing not to notice before
asking the list, but no harm done I suppose.

Thanks anyway everyone!

Alex Kloss