Hi,

I know that this is not only a FreeBSD issue, but I don't know where else I
should ask. First, this issue has been brought up here in a different way 3
years ago, but there seems to be no solution, yet. [1]

I use Latex for documentation and presentations of my work. My problem is that
I still haven't found a working DVI-Viewer in FreeBSD without installing the
whole KDE-dependencies (KDVI). Latex compiles into dvi files. So either I use
teTex (as the thread [1] recommends) but which is not supported anymore [2]
and cannot use XDVI, or I install the latex-package and will not be able to
use other Latex-tools like dvips and cannot print or share it.
To make it short:

===>  Installing for xdvi-pl20_3

===>  xdvi-pl20_3 conflicts with installed package(s):
      teTeX-base-3.0_12
      teTeX-texmf-3.0_5

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

AFAIK both packages want to install the file /usr/local/bin/latex.

So my questions are: Is there a way to bent the dependency of XDVI on teTex in
general (maybe this is a developers issue, not porters - don't know) or is
there another small Viewer I may use instead? The other way would be much
more difficult, I think. Has anyone here a workaround for this? Is there a
solution in the very near future?

Thanks a lot
Holger

[1]http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=584280+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20050522.freebsd-questions