Holger Jorra wrote:
Hi,

I know that this is not only a FreeBSD issue, but I don't know where else I should ask. First, this issue has been brought up here in a different way 3 years ago, but there seems to be no solution, yet. [1]

I use Latex for documentation and presentations of my work. My problem is that I still haven't found a working DVI-Viewer in FreeBSD without installing the whole KDE-dependencies (KDVI). Latex compiles into dvi files. So either I use teTex (as the thread [1] recommends) but which is not supported anymore [2] and cannot use XDVI, or I install the latex-package and will not be able to use other Latex-tools like dvips and cannot print or share it.
To make it short:

===>  Installing for xdvi-pl20_3

===> xdvi-pl20_3 conflicts with installed package(s): teTeX-base-3.0_12
      teTeX-texmf-3.0_5

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

AFAIK both packages want to install the file /usr/local/bin/latex.

So my questions are: Is there a way to bent the dependency of XDVI on teTex in general (maybe this is a developers issue, not porters - don't know) or is there another small Viewer I may use instead? The other way would be much more difficult, I think. Has anyone here a workaround for this? Is there a solution in the very near future?

I think you made one of two mistakes.
It is possible that you use teTeX meta port in which case you already have xdvi, which came as a dependency.

Second possibility (most likely) is that you are trying to compile wrong version of xdvi. There is one for teTeX and there is
one for the older ports Latex and TeX.

You need http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/print/xdvik/pkg-descr

Cheers,
Predrag