Subject: mouse problems
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:35:27 +0200
From: Andriy Gapon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've recently got a cheap PS/2 mouse A4 Tech OP-3D:
http://www.a4tech.com/EN/product2.asp?CID=114&SCID=115&MNO=OP-3D

It looks like your regular mouse with a combined
middle-button/scroll-wheel. The only unusual feature is an additional
button for "double-click" - I am not sure if it's simulated within the
mouse itself or if it is reported to controller/driver.

There is a problem with this mouse though: if I don't do anything
special then this mouse acts very erratically and misbehaves all it can
- movements are ignored or reported as button clicks, button clicks get
reported as movements or clicks of different buttons, etc.
One cure that I initially found was to kill moused, disconnect and
reconnect the mouse and restart moused, after that moused worked well.
Then, I found out that I could achieve the same if I specify 0x200 flag
(no id probing).
Judging from verbose dmesg the mouse is detected as a generic ps/2 mouse
with or without this flag, there is no difference whatsoever. So it
seems that probing for various mouse models somehow hoses this mouse.

Question #1: maybe some kind of additional mouse reset should be
performed after all probes failed and we settle on generic?

Well, while flag 0x200 makes the mouse behave reasonably, it seems that
the presence of the wheel is not detected (or mouse is configured to
ignore it?), so I can not use it.

Question #2: what are the further steps to debug this issue so that this
mouse is properly recognized? I really would like to get the wheel working.

I can provide any additional information needed.
Thank you.

--
Andriy Gapon

--