On Tuesday 29 January 2008 10:23:29 cpghost wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 06:25:32PM -0500, C Thala wrote:
> > > However, I don't have an actual live filesystem available to test this
> > > on....can I just restore to a directory on an existing fs to be sure?
> > > Is this even possible?
> >
> > Never mind...to answer my own question, I had to use the "add" feature
> > in the interactive shell, i.e.:
> >
> > $ restore -i -f dump
> > restore > add etc
> > restore > extract
>
> If you want to test the *entire* dump file, you can also
> use -r. Just make an empty directory somewhere, cd(1)
> into it, and restore the dump there:
>
> % mkdir /path/to/new/dir
> % cd /path/to/new/dir
> % restore -r -f /path/to/old/dumpfile

man restore:
-r      Restore (rebuild a file system).

This will recreate the filesystem, meaning, the files extracted will have
identical inode numbers as on the original filesystem. Thus, you will very
likely run into problems when using this mode.

You're looking for -x, which extracts a dump file, similar to a tar, restoring
ownership, file times and so on, but leaving the inode numbers up to the OS.

restore -x is essentially what OP did interactively.
--
Mel