On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

On 29/01/2008, Siraj Shaikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/01/2008, doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

One question: I have just installed FreeBSD 6.3, and tried "startx"
but it isnt coming up, giving some sort of error. Am I missing
something here? I did choose for "Windows X" during the FreeBSD setup
- shall I do a port upgrade?

Thanks

This is really a new thread. The handbook Chapter 5, The X Window System has the
steps to follow. If your video card is support, it will just work.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

I installed FreeBSD 6.3 and asked for X during the step. The link only
shows me how to add the X package. Shall I add the package right on
top now, or shall I remove X first, and then install the port/package
after that?

Thanks

I have just reinstalled Xorg (using the xorg port) and tried startx
again but it doesnt work. The error message is something like

(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Please help!!!

This looks like you did not configure X. As the handbook 5.4.2 says if startx does not work you need to run: Xorg -configure and then test that with

   Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

If your Xorg is < 7.3 you have to do this. Depending on the defaults selected and your video card, you may need to edit your screen section. Xorg 7 did not work for me. In Xorg 6 all setup is manual and required. My screen section:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"