On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:18:53AM -0500, Martin Boulianne wrote:

> Hi,
> Maybe this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if I could use
> dump (and restore) on Windows NTFS partitions.
>
> Say I have a NTFS partition, ad0s1. Could I use:
>    # dump -b 4 -f /backups/winxp.dump /dev/ad0s1

Well, I htink it would work for a FATnn slice, but I don't
know about NTFS.

> Or after a restore, Windows would be able to read the files? What about dd,
> with something like:
>    # dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/backups/winxp.bck bs=4k

The problem is that dd copies essentially byte-by-byte and so it
might not restore in the fashion you wish.   Label blocks and file
links would all have to be identical - which they might not be in
a real life situation.  But, give it a try.
Copy it with dd and then restore it with dd back to a different
slice and see what happens.

////jerry