On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

On 29/01/2008, doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

On 29/01/2008, Siraj Shaikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/01/2008, doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

One question: I have just installed FreeBSD 6.3, and tried "startx"
but it isnt coming up, giving some sort of error. Am I missing
something here? I did choose for "Windows X" during the FreeBSD setup
- shall I do a port upgrade?

[cut]

(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

[cut x config stuff]

I did configure Xorg as it said in the handbook, but after that the
test didnt work, still gave me the same error. I then installed from a
port (I assume that will be the latest Xorg 7.3 is it? How can I check
what version do I have?

What is way forward now? uninstall this and install Xorg 6?

 1) Post xorg.conf.new as suggested.
 2) pkg_info | grep xorg  will show you whats installed
 3) check the hardware list to see if there are know issues
 4) Google the error and freebsd + xorg + your system

You will get the most (probably) from posting xorg.conf.new. along with
'uname -a' output. Don't edit it just send it to the list avoiding line wrapping.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]