On 29/01/2008, doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:
On 29/01/2008, Siraj Shaikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/01/2008, doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

Just to repeat. I installed FreeBSD 6.3, its a new Toshiba notebook. I
chose to install X Windows during sysinstall. The very first time I
ran startx it didnt work. Then I did the "Xorg -configure" and tried
again, and still doesnt work. Please help !!!!

startx is lame.  most ppl apparently use either KDE or gnome. i used
to use xfce4 that was started with the command "starxfce4" but i ended
up being pursuaded out of it because i couldn't do flash and multimedia
plugins.  have you tried running the following command at the
root prompt:

#pkg_add -r gnome2

i think that is what i used.

here is a webpage for gnome:

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.20/notes/en/

have you familiarized yourself with the freeBSD pkg_add pkg_delete
and ports systems /usr/ports ?  the -r directive means that it goes
out to the web to find things to install and at the same time installs
it.  really easy.  for the ports system

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

you merely figure out what port you want.. do a command something
like (as root)

#cd /usr/ports/path/to/a/kewl/app

and then

#make install clean

the ports system figures out all the dependencies.. also there is a
kewl thing called "portsnap" that updates the ports directories

Do I need to get Xorg working first? before I deploy gnome2? I do plan
to install gnome 2 -certainly at some stage - would that solve my
problems?

the pkg_add utility worries about alll that nonsense for you.
just try it.

I am a bit confused now....please help! I thought gnome 2 wouldnt work
if I dont get xorg to work.

that's true, but xorg i think you don't necessarily have to worry
about.  the pkg_add command will be thinking for a looongg loonngg
time.  go see a movie while it is chugging away.