Kirk McKusick wrote:

The dump program runs on the raw disk partition dumping sequentially
by inode number. So, it has no idea of the file-tree hierarchy.

I was just looking at the source to dump, specifically traverse.c and from what I can see, doesn't dump pass #2 scan through all directories and then in the searchdir() function remove a directory's children from the list of inodes to backup if the directory has the nodump flag?

---------
414                 if (nodump) {
415                         ip = getino(dp->d_ino, &mode);
416                         if (TSTINO(dp->d_ino, dumpinomap)) {
417                                 CLRINO(dp->d_ino, dumpinomap);
418                                 *tapesize -= blockest(ip);
---------

        Barry