On Thursday 06 February 2003 09:11 pm, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> >> make this NONE
> >
> > Unfortunately, this is only valid in 4-stable. It was deprecated in
> > HEAD
> > September 3, 2002. I was hoping that the sendmail_submit_enable and
> > sendmail_outbound_enable switches (which I think are new) would have
> > the same
> > overall effect as NONE did in -stable.
>
> Thank god.  I wasn't around at the time, but whoever thought it was a
> good idea to take a *universally* understood binary choice like yes/no
> and add alternatives to it - well, hopefully they've had time to
> appreciate the zillions of posts by confused admins.

There was a long and heated debate around enabling sendmail when the idea of
making the option tri-state came out as a reasonable compromise. Yes, it
might have caused some confusion, but then again, so did the fact that
sendmail_enable="NO" did _not_ turn off sendmail... But for better or worse
it's gone now, apparently because it was incompatible with rcNG.

-David

--
"Whatever it is that the government does, sensible Americans
would prefer that the government does it to somebody else.

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago