On 4 Feb 2008, at 21:49, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

David Banning wrote:
<snip>
2. Is there any way to avoid it?

Yes - switch to different fabric.  I live near a large metro area,
and the local cable company finally figured out that there was
money to be made offering their very fast/reliable cable service
to businesses.  For $10/mo *less* than I was paying for
1.5/384 DSL with 8 static IPs, I now get 6.0/1.5 w/5 static IPs
from Comcast.  My only regret is that I could not continue to
do business with Speakeasy, which is hands down the best ISP
I've ever seen.  The Comcast package has thus far (about 4 months)
been flawless.  They have a separate support group for business
customers, they handled my reverse DNS perfectly and promptly,
and - if I remain on the local backbone for testing - the system
actually peaks to over 20Mb/sec.

If you're not too far away from the CO you can try adsl2,
but if your copper is lousy for dsl, it will be lousy for
that as well.

In both the UK and Ireland, one of the available "different fabric" solutions is broadband over a "wireless" connection using point-to-point radio or microwave connections with dishes
mounted on the outside of the building.

These rely on line of sight to the ISPs mast, and are therefore typically available only in large urban areas, but where they are available, I have found them to be more reliable than DSL.

Personal experience: using them in several sites in the greater Dublin area (Ireland) and in the Belfast area (UK) for my company and our staff members who work from home.

Additional benefits of this type of connection is that it is symmetrical (same upload and download speed) and, in the UK and Ireland at least, comes with with a fixed IP address as standard. (I have a friend in Kosovo who has the same technology deployed with private IP address ranges, so that does depend on your ISP)