Wojciech Puchar wrote:
Hi,

I have a box with three hard drives:
/dev/da0 - dedicated to the OS
/dev/ad4s1e - data drive - mounted as /store
/dev/ad5s1e - hold a backup of /dev/ad4 - mounted as /backup

I used 'dump' to backup everything from /store to /backup with the following command:
dump -0aun -f /backup/fullbackup /store

As expected, the result is a dump file called 'fullbackup'

Then I tested a restore, by restoring the fullbackup file from /backup to /store. I did the following:
1) made /store pristine: newfs -U /dev/ad4s1e
2) mounted /dev/ad4s1e on /store
3) cd into /store
4) ran the command: restore -r -uv -f /backup/fullbackup
5) remove 'restoresymtable' from /store

Thanks in advance for your help

you did restore as root? (i think so but just for sure)

it is something wrong with restore then, i used it many times and it restore everything.

anyway - rsync is good tool to make exact copy of directory tree

Actually yes, I did restore as root. All ownership info and permissions are reset during restore, and none of the original permissions are back. This kind of weird since the OS drive hasn't changed. So, there are the same users setup on the system. Any thoughts?