Jason C. Wells wrote:

navneet Upadhyay wrote:

Hi,
I have two binary packages of an application of version 1.1 and 1.2.
*The 1.1 is already installed, how can i upgrade it to 1.2* ?

Do i have to uninstall 1.1 and then install 1.2 ? I would prefer a way by
which i can upgrade an wxisting package without uninstalling.

Uninstall reinstall takes all of five seconds. It's quite easy. Any of the ports management software has to do some variety of this anyway. The only difference is they do it with one command.

Actually, there is one other key difference. portupgrade[1] will make a *backup* of the package it is about to uninstall, and will recover that backup if the subsequent install of the new package fails. You can do that by hand with the pkg_ tools but I know I prefer it to just happen. You could add that to your script, but why re-invent the wheel?

portupgrade[1] also keeps copies of any libraries it uninstalls during an upgrade, which ought not to be necessary. But if something was silently relying on one, you won't break it.

The usefulness of the port management apps (portmaster,portupgrade) is when you want to upgrade multiple ports and large amounts of dependencies all at once. They are more trouble than they are worth for a single package. That is, unless you are already using them.

The other argument would be that there's no better time to get familiar with a tool than when you can use it to do something easy.

--Alex

[1] portmaster may do this too. I don't know as regrettably I haven't found time to try it yet. The new version is something I would like to try, and while I can't recommend it from personal experience, I would suggest trying it nonetheless.