Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

Thank you. I realized this was the case before I wrote previous
message. The thing is the real file is owned by user api. However,
when the application is started following a reboot, its logs are
created by user root, whereas when I start it by hand as user api, its
logs are owned by user api. So it once caused me a problem because the
existing log file was owned by root and I stopped then started this
particular software by hand as user api. Needless to say, it panicked
about not being able to log what it was doing.

I wonder that indeed a better solution may be to use cron for
automatic startups, which Lowell rightly pointed out to me. I just
loved the simplicity of symlinking sh scripts against
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ :)
I personally much prefer scripts in rc.d because it's much easier to migrate than crontabs, and if I never use a crontab I always know where to look.

It looks to me like you shouldn't be starting the demon as user api - startups scripts should always be started as root. If the demon or whatever is supposed to run as api not root, then perhaps your script should say e.g.

   su api -c the-path-to-the-demon-or-whatever

root can su to whoever without a password, and api can su to api without a password, and everyone else gets prompted.

--Alex