I can see how C and asm fit into that picture. One's the portable
assembler you right most of your code in, and the other is the
non-portable assembler that you right the other bits in. How does Java
fit?

Java is just the next level of abstraction. C may be "portable" in source form, but,
of course, its not in binary form. Java attempts to take that next step. There are
several candidates for this scope of binary abstraction, of course; Java just happens
to be my favorite.

I'm beginning to think the original posters goal was to start a long,
off-topic discussion.

I agree. I suspected this at first; though, I kind of felt like playing the role of
oxygen. Besides, if he wanted information he got it =)
Don

"sucking on the soldier's brain..."