My feeling is that's something in my router that BSD doesn't like and
Linux doesn't care
(since it works).

Instead of posting my custom kernel config, I decided that I will give
it another two radical tries:
- first, I'll compile a generic kernel
- second, if the first attempt is unsuccessful, I will try a complete
reinstall of FreeBSD, to
get rid of all the configuration tweaks I made

If it will not work after that, I will remove BSD from my system.
I don't want to waste your time and mine dealing with this annoying
issue anymore.

very good idea. don't waste yor time on freebsd if something else works well for you.