Hello!

I've been using two identical WD MyBook 500 GB HDDs as a 'backup media' for almost a year. With FreeBSD 6.2 things worked fairly well. There was only one problem - after attaching the drive, it took 10-11 minutes for the drive to become available as da0. In my specific situation this problem was not too disturbing.

With 6.3, however, things are much worse. I'm experiencing really bad freezes when the several-gigabytes-big backup images are being transferred to the USB HDD. I've described the details in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=120321, so I won't repeat them all here. I'll just say again that as the problem happens with two identical drives and WD's diagnostics utility has verified one of them to be OK, I don't believe it to be hardware failure. Also, problems started immediately after upgrading to 6.3.

So, my current guess is that there is something about these drives that just doesn't sit well with FreeBSD 6.3. As I really do need to make backups, I'm willing to try another brand of HDD. So I hope to hear what kind of USB HDDs are you successfully using with FreeBSD 6.3.

Thanks in advance,
--
Toomas Aas
... The speed of time is one second per second.