Dominic Fandrey wrote:
Bruce Cran wrote:
Wojciech Puchar wrote:
disabling SMP, but it didn't help.

There have been threads on the stable list about jerky  mouse
performance, which may be part of this, but I have really followed it
closely. I'm also wondering whether this might be due to some xorg or
other port change from late 2007 that I only noticed when I started
doing a lot of rebuilding under 7-stable.

does it lag when doing disk I/O or just any case?

I think it's disk I/O: even doing a cvsup makes the desktop start lagging on my Athlon XP UP system.

Does setting debug.vfscache=0 make any difference?

Setting debug.vfscache=0 doesn't seem to help. The issue only seems to occur when I'm running the buildworld within a terminal in Xorg. I think it may be a contention issue with the 'nvidia' driver since during certain phases of the buildworld I often see top saying something's waiting on a lock - and I've spotted nvidia0 waiting on Giant a few times. I'll test using the nv driver instead and see if the problem still occurs.

--
Bruce

--
Bruce