Matthew Seaman wrote:

RW wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:19:48 +0530
"navneet Upadhyay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
      After putting my script to /etc/rc.d , it gets executed at
startup and the parameter passed to the script is *faststart .*
*I want the same script to be executed when system shuts down , how
can i do that.*
Don't put it in /etc/rc.d/, give it a .sh extension and put it
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/. It will then get stop/start arguments.

No need to force it to have a .sh extension in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
nowadays.  In fact, rather the contrary as a .sh extension causes the
script to be run in the context of the rc process rather than in a sub-shell.

Though undocumented, this statement is not valid for scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. The scripts there are /always/ run in a sub-shell, no matter their ending.