Dominic Fandrey wrote:
E. J. Cerejo wrote:
Gerard wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:23:36 -0500
"E. J. Cerejo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
Can portmanager work in conjection with portupgrade?

Yes, I use it all the time.

Why has the ports tree be up to date?

What conceivable reason would you have for using an outdated ports tree?

Will portmanager download anything from the cvsup repos?

It will only fetch programs that need updating, just like portupgrade.

Would you be so kind as to explain your reluctance to update your
system? The number of potential programs that need updating seems
rather immaterial when compared to the potential system wide
improvement in its overall performance. You could simply start the
upgrade in the evening when you are through using the PC. Depending on
the speed of your machine, it might very well be done by the next
morning, if not sooner.
My system was updated yesterday and I'm trying to resolve the issues that arose from the updating. I can't update my system everyday I just don't have time for it.

If you don't want to rebuild the stuff, just add

libicui18n.so.36    libicui18n.so

to your /etc/libmap.conf file. This solution works if no functions have been removed from the library interface, which only very rarely happens.

I just ran pkg_libchk -m piped to a file but looks pretty confusing, is there a way to get only the output for the lines containing /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.38?

I can reccomend you the -q option, which will give you a very clean output simply listing all the packages that have problems. Without the -q option the program shows its status, which is not well readable in a file, because it doesn't use \n but \r.

That you get output with the -m/--mean flag, but not without means that the false positive detection is erroneous. For the time being I'd recommend you to use the libmap.conf solution. Later this day I will add some debugging functionality to the script and send that version to you, if you are willing to spend your time helping me finding this problem.

Well I'm glad to say that the output problem was just a minor problem, the cat and grep worked fine when sending the output to the terminal and I just copied it and pasted it into gedit. And indeed pkg_libchk is by far the best solution, if I was to update every package that depended on icu I would have to update 239 packages which discouraged me right away, by running pkg_libchk the amount of packages to be updated was reduced to 71, wrote a quick script and left it running overnight and those packages got updated and by god I don't have any more problems with libicui18n.so.38. Nice little tool.

The version I just sent you would have spared you this work. Your help has been _very_ useful in improving the script, so thank you very much.

One more question. I see that there is no man page for pkg_libchk, how do I find out more about its options and switches? What command or commands does it rely upon?

There actually is a manual page and it gets installed with the script. Unless you set NOPORTDOCS you should have a pkg_libchk(1) manual page. Of course that page is out of sync with the improved version I sent you, but I will soon put a new release together. And until then you already have a description for all new commands.

The script relies upon the commands pkg_info, readelf, ldd and ldconfig. Needless to say there's also a lot of grep and sed going around.