On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:16:59 +0100 Ivan Voras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Scott Bennett wrote:
>
>>      It does it every time, so it is certainly repeatable.  Is this a
>> known problem?  Or is there some feature of GELI-encrypted file systems
>> that is expected to have problems running scripts?  (I do not know whether
>> the problem is limited to /bin/csh scripts.  After several crashes in just
>> a few minutes, I decided I had had enough of that for one night.)
>>      If anyone has seen this happen before, please let me know.
>
>This is absolutely not a common problem, and it's unlikely that the
>shell script is the direct cause of the reboots. Are there any messages
>written on the console juse before the reboots? Are the reboots actually

     None.

>kernel panics? If so, you'll need to track down the messages and report
>them
>(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html),

     The kernel panics I've seen in the past all hung the system cold and
required powering it down in order to reboot it.  The current situation
involves a pause of one or two seconds, followed by a black screen, then
the Dell startup splash screen, and then the screen displayed by my boot
manager, offering a choice of Windows XP or FreeBSD.  It's all very fast.
I'm not at all sure that a final sync(2) is even done.

>if not, it's maybe a hardware problem. Is there something unusual about
>your hardware?

     I don't think so.  It's a Dell Inspiron XPS w/1 GB of memory, a
Mobility Radeon 9800 card, and several devices attached to USB ports.
The CPU is a 3.4 GHz P4 w/HT enabled in chipset, BIOS, and kernel.
There is also a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS PCMCIA card in the slot.  There
is no software support for 3D acceleration on the graphics card and no
software support for the sound card.  There is a builtin sound setup for
which there does seem to be some limited software support.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG