B. Cook wrote:
Hello All,

I am looking for an im server that runs on FreeBSD (preferably from ports)
for ~20 people with SSL/TLS.

I see there is jabberd and ejabberd (anything else to consider?)

It seems that ejabberd needs java and all sorts of other things.. and that
jabber needs mysql ;)

Am I missing something here?

I think I should use jabber (usr/ports/net-im/jabberd).

Anyone have anything they would like to share?

Thanks in advance

One of the requirements I had when setting this up in our office last year was that all communications had to be logged into a database. After trying everything out there I could lay my hands on, the only port at the time that would do this was ejabberd in conjunction with bandersnatch. Although bandersnatch is supposed to operate with jabberd, the code was not kept up to date with perl modules that were released at a later date. In order to get it to work with jabberd, you had to backport some perl modules. I think the other port I looked at at the time was wildfire, which had the same issue of a outdated plugin available to log communications that wouldn't work. I'm not sure if these issues have been corrected since I last delved into this, so you might want to check into it a little further if you need to.

ejabberd is pretty painless to set up, has a web interface to manage users, and has worked well for us for a while now. If you need any assitance, send me an email directly, and I will answer any questions that I can.

Greg Groth