2008/2/14, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>     Actually i'm only using jails, because i haven't got all the bugs worked
>  out yet and when i do i'm going to just copy the files over and go
>  production. Other than that these files will work for a freebsd system. In
>  brief you'll need openldap server and client ports, i'm using 2.4, pam_ldap
>  port and nss_ldap port. Go configure all that and that'll do it, take it in
>  stages, slapd first, the ldap client next, then either pam_ldap or nss_ldap,
>  one thing you'll definitely want is tls encryption, can't help with that as
>  i'm still trying to get that working.
>     If you need any help let me know, i'll do what i can.
>
> Dave.

Thanks a lot. That might be interesting. TLS might not be that vital,
since I'm mostly thinking of a solution on my own servers and
primarily only on the central one. When I was on Linux, PAM was almost
a most, but I think it is different on FreeBSD, so I guess I would
prefer the solution with nss_ldap.
Your are right, nothing severe will happen if I try to get the LDAP
server and client up and running in the first place. As far as I
remember, the most critical issue was how to initialize the database
and how to make a reasonable structure suited for both user
authentication, Samba and some mail server. Right now I have to
parallel structures, one for Samba/system users and one for (virtual)
mail users.
I still wonder why a "universal" implementation of LDAP authentication
on FreeBSD is not described anywhere. But if I find the time and
energy, I migth try to experiment on my own and might also return to
you if a have more specific issues.

Regards,
Jon