Thanks for your suggestions Erik, I had only been speed testing with smb. I just did a quick test with wget under cygwin and I'm still getting around 1.5MB/second, which is about the same as I get with smb.

scp peaked at around 900KB/second, which also seems to suggest the hardware is only working at 10% capacity.

Can you point me to a man page or something for your suggestion "use packet filtering statistics" ? Where do I start?

Paul Boldra

Erik Norgaard wrote:
Boldra wrote:

I think ifconfig -a is saying that the os thinks the card is 100Mbit:

ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       ether 00:a0:0c:40:32:a3
       status: active

So my questions are:
How do I check the network performance from within freebsd?
What other tools can I use to check for network problems?
How can I check the network card is configured and working correctly?

It is not irrelevant which protocol you use to copy large files. Some protocols has less overhead. Also, you may experience better performance between bsd stations, if you can try set up two bsd stations to test performance on different protocols, ftp, http, tftp, whatever.

I think the best I have had on a 10Mbit/s was 1Mbyte/s - that is about 80% is actually effective payload. Another thing you can do to get more correct numbers is to use the packet filtering statistics.

Cheers, Erik