I am having dramas with samba in a 6.3 jail

Basically the part that is not working, is I cant ping/resolve the netbios name of the samba box from any windows machine. There is a linux samba box here, and I tried the same config as that, and no go.

Baiscally if I try and ping it from a windows box, I get this:

>ping bytecart
Ping request could not find host bytecart. Please check the name and try again.

Nothing in nbtstat -c relating to the samba box.

The weird thing is that I can see the samba box in windows explorer in the network places. Clicking on it obvious says 'network path not found' or such. I can manually map the network drive by going \\1.2.3.4\username though.

Also, this seems odd (from netstat -an):

udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.138        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.137        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.138        *.*
udp4       0      0  192.168.94.9.137        *.*

So yeah, any ideas?

Cheers,
        Josh

Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
On Wed, February 13, 2008 17:44, Dave wrote:
Hello,
    Has anyone got samba running in a jail? And if so, is it possible to
access that server from outside this jail? I'm implementing some items in
jailed environment and now have to test samba before going production.
    If any workarounds are needed i'd appreciate knowing them.
Thanks.
Dave.

Running Samba within a jail on Freebsd 7-RC2 serving data from a ZFS pool.
No issues or anything special required.

Rgds,

Patrick