Hi,

this problem is caused by how the drives are installed in the machine.

Can you add a fan?

Erich

s.g. wrote:
Guys,
I notice occasional overheating of my GELI-encrypted hard drives followed by the reboot. This happens when there is heavy activity on the drive - eg when trying to dump partitions.
There are 4 drives i have, three encrypted and fourth is plaintext.
According to smartctl -a, the temperature of the encrypted drives is ~59C. The temperature of the unencrypted drive is, however, ~41C, according to the same smartctl -a. All the four drives in question are Seagate ST3400620AS/3.AAC, GELI encryption is default AES, no data authentication. This is on 6.2-RELEASE-p8. Am I right assuming GELI encryption is the reason for such a "global warming"?
Thanks in advance,

Grigorian