Fellow FreeBSD Fans,

I've been running FreeBSD on a web/mail server, which I only have remote access to, for a while now. At home I've been running Linux since the 1.xx kernel days but am considering switching my desktop box to FreeBSD.

I never given much thought to my locale setting until recently. I'm about to start participating in an online Spanish study group, via e-mail, and might also be following along with an Old English study group. I'm an old fashioned kinda user and prefer to do as much as I can via the text console. I compose/read e-mail via Alpine. After some trial and error I finally convinced my Linux box, currently running Arch Linux, to handle all of the "special" characters I need via the console. In the end, it amounted to:

1.  Add "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" to /etc/locale.gen

2.  run locale-gen

3.  set LANG to en_US.UTF-8

4.  Switch to a font that contains the symbols I need.  I'm currently
    using one of the Terminus console fonts.  For some reason I had to
    switch to a framebuffer console otherwise after executing
    unicode_start the font was way too dim.

5.  run unicode_start(added to my .cshrc file)

After the above I'm able to display various accented characters such as á, é, ì, ö, û, ç, etc. along with the Spanish ñ, inverted punctuation marks ¡, ¿, Old English thorn(þ), eth(ð), ash(æ), etc. Also, from reading mail from various mailing lists I've noticed that it also handles the Cyrillic alphabet and part of the Greek alphabet.

From what I've seen of FreeBSD I'd expect it to have console capabilities that are superior to those of Linux. But, I haven't managed to figure out how to achieve similar functionality via the FreeBSD text consoles. I'm currently testing FreeBSD(7.0-RC2) under VMware. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org