On Thursday 21 February 2008 20:38:31 Erik Norgaard wrote:

> So far I have managed to keep all on version 43 of Berkeley DB, I see
> there is now 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6.
>
> - Is there any way to find out which is the latest version all ports
> will build against?

No, cause there's reasons there's so many db4* ports. Some interfaces changed
along the way and depending software needs time to conform to it. However:
You can set WITH_BDB_VER in /etc/make.conf and pick one. If you grep
BDB /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.databases.mk you can quickly see that a portmaintainer
has more power then you.

> - Is there any reason to upgrade?

Other then diskspace and clutter, there is no reason to remove older versions
as they are properly separated by the ports. But as said you can specify a
default to be used when the port does not care which version 4 it needs. In
Utopia this should slowly migrate out ancient versions. In the real world,
there will be this one unmaintained app you really like that won't work with
anything over 42 :p

--
Mel