Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 15:58:51 schrieb James Harrison:
8. Most extensive collection of third party software (over 18000 ) only
second to Debian.
Looking back at it, I'm surprised I didn't mention that.
Gentoo has over 24 thousand ebuilds, where an ebuild is their equivalent
of a port:

Err, don't confuse ebuilds with packages. A package is a piece of software (which is the equivalent of a port), whereas an ebuild is an install script for a specific version of a package. Normally, there's more than one version of a package (more than one ebuild) available for a package, which makes the ebuild count higher than the FreeBSD ports count, but the package count lower (somewhere above 12000).

This doesn't count slotted ebuilds: for example, Gentoo has just one gtk package, which contains several ebuilds for slot 12 which is gtk-1.2.x and several ebuilds for slot 20, which is gtk-2.x (different slots are treated as different packages by the system internally), whereas FreeBSD has a gtk12 and a gtk20 port, which installs the respective versions.

So, basically whatever numbers you take, they can't be compared directly anyway, but I guess that the number of ports is still higher than the Gentoo amortized package count would be.

And also be aware that many utilities included in the FreeBSD base system are ebuilds in the Gentoo world. tcpdump and top are just two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Drew