Mel escribió:
On Thursday 21 February 2008 20:32:37 Andrew Bradford wrote:
Erik Norgaard escribió:
I assume the reasoning for this is you want to preserve permissions
and attributes on your backup, so you can't solve this simply by
setting permissions appropriately.
Yes, exactly.  Users need to be able to see their own backups, and
nobody else's.

Isn't this what acl's are for? See setfacl(8). I haven't looked into it in great detail but seems to me that if you make a subdir owned by the user for each backup root for that user and set the acl to only be accessible by user, it should work.
I can't test it on my system at the moment, but wouldn't acls make the files writable for general users? The backup filesystem needs to be mounted read-write for root only, and read-only for general users, yet maintain ownership and permissions.

Is it possible to use acls to revoke normal UNIX permissions on a directory hierarchy? I.e. use acls to limit users from writing to the read-write backup filesystem.