On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

gmirror(8) / geom(8) should automatically remove (degrade) components
with bad I/O operations after a certain threshold, but I'm pretty sure
it doesn't.

but i'm absolutely sure it does because it did several times for me

Finally I had some time to research. 939 of geom_mirror -- kern.geom.mirror.disconnect_on_failure -- It's a newer 6.x thing apparently:

Behavior is not tunable. It happens on a single failure. I ask about tunable behavior because some cheap IDE (Maxtor) disks can fail, then recover.

6.3/amd64:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/src-RELENG_6_3]# sysctl -a|grep -i kern.geom.mirror
  kern.geom.mirror.sync_requests: 2
  kern.geom.mirror.disconnect_on_failure: 1
  kern.geom.mirror.idletime: 5
  kern.geom.mirror.timeout: 4
  kern.geom.mirror.debug: 0

But:

 FreeBSD wingspan 5.5-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE-p10 #0: Fri Jan 12

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/seklecki$ sysctl -a|grep -i kern.geom.mirror

 kern.geom.mirror.debug: 0
 kern.geom.mirror.timeout: 0
 kern.geom.mirror.idletime: 5
 kern.geom.mirror.reqs_per_sync: 5