On Saturday 23 February 2008 23:55:51 Jasvinder S. Bahra wrote:
> > Could you set the following in /etc/make.conf:
> > CFLAGS=-pipe -O0 # capital O, number zero
>
> Mel,
>
> You've cracked it.  I set CFLAGS as above, and lang/ruby18
> installed successfully.
>
> What does this mean?  The package did install, so the compiler
> isn't broken.  Maybe an optimisation bug as you mentioned?

Yes. Not many use VIA cpu's, so I think it would help a lot if you'd do a
send-pr. Include a full dmesg so the CPU flags can be seen. The default on
FreeBSD is to compile with -O2 now, so either cc should disable the specific
optimization for which there is no matching CPU instruction internally, or
via CPUTYPE or similar constructs, the optimization flag for this should be
turned off.
-O2 is a collection of optimizations that can be turned on/off
individually. -O = -O1 is a smaller set, -O0 turns it off entirely.

--
Mel