Martin McCormick skrev:
        While running an expect script, is it possible to set an
expect script variable to the string kept in a shell variable?

        I can generate the shell variable just fine but when I
try to export it to the expect script for later use with something like:

set LOGFILENAME [exec echo \$TMPFILE]

something happens without error, but a later attempt to see the
contents of it such as

send_user "$LOGFILENAME\n"

proves that it never got set. It just echoes the literal string
LOGFILENAME.

Thanks.

If you're not too worried about speed my old trick to circumvent this was to simply write the variable to a temporary file then read in that file for the send_user thing later on...Providing the send_user is a script, mind you.

Just my nickels worth...remember to delete the tempfile though.

/R