I made a bootable system on a stick a few months ago. I used it to dd clone a WinXP image to some Gateway desktops in a lab. I think I just plugged the stick into my FreeBSD laptop fired up sysinstall and treated the stick as a da drive that needed a full install.

Tim

Derek Ragona wrote:
I am working on getting a FreeBSD system to boot from a USB memory stick.

Would it be possible to install the operating system using the following:

cd /usr/src
make DESTDIR=/mnt/usbdisk world
boot0cfg -v -B -o noupdate da0

Or, is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,

Jay

I don't know how to do this myself, but know it is available using FreeNAS, which is based on FreeBSD. FreeNAS information is at:
www.freenas.org

        -Derek