Wojciech Puchar wrote:
tried plustek  opticpro st12

got:

ugen0: vendor 0x07b3 product 0x0600, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2
ugen0: setting configuration index 0 failed
device_attach: ugen0 attach returned 6
ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected

and even /dev/ugen* doesn't exist so sane-find-scanner is unable to find anything

FreeBSD usually uses /dev/uscanner0 as a device node for scanners (and driver uscanner)unless you are using HPLIP driver. It is true though that in OpenBSD some scanners has to be seen as /dev/ugen0 since uscanner driver for OpenBSD
does not support receiving vendor name and product.

Are you sure you have right permissions? Also for plustek backend you have to add your-self into _saned group.
Did you reboot (I hope not server:-)))) the thing after you plug the scanner

What is the output of sane-find-scanner ? Which version of SANE-backends do you have. They came up 2 weeks ago with 1.19 release which I use on 4.3 beta OpenBSD but on my FreeBSD machines the version is 1.17.

Did you check if the scanner is listed in the sane data base.

Cheers,

Predrag