On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

We have several network services hosted on a FreeBSD system, and want it
to come up quickly, so that these services (dhcp, nameservice, nis, tftp
etc) are available when systems are restarting after a prolonged power
failure.

That is, several times a year we have multi-hour power failures (generally
starting at midnight because that is  utility maintainance time) and our
UPSs run out of power. That is OK, but we would like the systems to come
up when the power returns, without going to the server room and
restarting systems in a prescribed order.

In most cases the clients hang because essential services are not
available, and in most cases the clients do not proceed to boot later when
the service does become available.

So, is there advice anywhere about speeding up the boot process? It
appears that most of the 1 minute 45 seconds to boot our system is wait
time for checking the existence of non-existant hardware and would not be
appreciable reduced with a faster CPU or disk. Are there kernel options
that we could use to avoid this checking? Would recompiling the kernel in
some specialized way help? Would pico-bsd be faster?

About the only thing I can find is to reduce the 10 second boot screen
delay - but we need to cut more than 30 seconds.

The server is statically configured but the clients obtain network
configuration from dhcp and pxeboot with nfs mounted root directories.
Clients are FreeBSD and Linux, and we are not eager to give up pxeboot as
it has greatly simplified maintainance.

Any suggestions, pointers much appreciated.

Three things I can think of:
* The 10 sec boot delay, which you already mentioned
* Make sure the wait time for SCSI devices is a low as reliably works.
 If it only has SCSI disks, this could probably very short, 1 sec or so
* Recompile your kernel removing any devices that don't exist in your
 hardware.

I'm not buying this, however.  My laptop boots in ~30 seconds with a
mostly stock kernel.  Please provide specific details as to what's
slowing it down.  Are you sure it's not a slow BIOS?  Many of the Dell
systems we have take several minutes with BIOS self-checks before the
OS even starts to boot.

The BIOS time isn't terrible - BTX shows up on the console within 15 seconds. The major delays happen when the last console message is about atapci: (25 seconds) and ad2: (15 seconds).

Daniel Feenberg

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com