Alphons "Fonz" van Werven wrote:
John Nielsen wrote:

I think OpenVPN is great and use it regularly, but as far as I know it
only interoperates with OpenVPN, and I'd be surprised if your university
 were using it.

Well, it seems like OpenVPN works for the Linux guys here... But anyway,
I'll go ask around about the exact setup.

I do not know if you guys received my original message so I will repeat.

IPsec is part of IPv6 security enchantment which is back ported to IPv4. OpenVPN is open source project released under GPL license which is not fully compliant VPN protocol (not compliant with IPsec) but easy to configure. Unless all of your client machines use OpenVPN you will be in big troubles.

Cisco VPN is a joke and there is published algorithm how to brake into it. If you do not believe me follow the link

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode

All above being said Cisco 3000 is very popular and it looks good in the eyes of management.

I am not an expert in Internet security but it seems to me that IPsec is way to go if you are serious about VPN.

Cheers,
Predrag

P. S. Make no mistake. OpenVPN has nothing to do with OpenBSD project. As a matter of fact OpenBSD
guys highly favor IPsec over OpenVPN.
Thanks,

Alphons