On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 02:59:54PM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:34:53PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > > Thanks Matthew.  I did a bit of searching and couldn't find this problem
> > > mentioned anywhere else.  I have submitted a PR with id "docs/48018".
> >
> > Ah.  Beat me to it.  I'm just working up a patch to telnetd to make it
> > work the way the manual says.  Just testing now before I submit it.
> >

> Oh no, I didn't submit a patch!  I just pointed to issue out, suggesting
> that someone may like to remove the incorrect text from the telnetd(8)
> manpage, or possibly update the telnetd sources to match the manpage.
> By all means, please do submit a patch!  I do a good bit of work with
> PHP, but I've never programmed with C, so I didn't even think about
> trying to patch.  Thanks for all of your help on this issue.  This was
> the first PR that I have ever submitted, maybe I shouldn't have
> submitted the PR at all if I didn't have the capability to fix the
> problem.  Is there any way that you can send in a patch relating to the
> PR that I already submitted.

Hmmm... Having spent some time looking at this over the weekend, I've
come to the conclusion that adding support for having telnetd display
the /etc/issue file before prompting for a login is impractical when
combined with the SRA encryption used in FreeBSDs standard telnet
setup.  It's certainly beyond my extremely rusty C programming skills.

Furthermore, the display of the IM gettytab property is somewhat
dubious as well:

Consider this entry in the standard /etc/gettytab:

    default:\
            :cb:ce:ck:lc:fd#1000:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:\
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            :if=/etc/issue:

which means you should see a banner like:

    FreeBSD/i386 (hostname.example.com) (ttyp0)

when you attempt to log in either via telnet or on the console.
However, it's conspicuously absent *before* the login prompt in a
FreeBSD to FreeBSD telnet sesssion:

    % telnet localhost
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Trying SRA secure login:
    User (matthew):
    Password:
    [ SRA accepts you ]

    FreeBSD/i386 (happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophi) (ttyp4)

Those 'User' and 'Password' prompts originate from the client machine,
and occur as a necessary pre-requisite before the encrypted channel
between the client and server can be set up.  So you've got to log in
before you can see any pre-login messages.

I'm not sure what would appear given an older telnet client that
doesn't support encryption, not having any older telnet clients around
to test with.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way