I'm having a problem related to a freebsd 6.x apache 2.0.x+mod_fastcgi --> django+flup forked server. Basically under heavy load the system seems to reach some kind of limit on the number of open files ie I see messages related to user 80 & xxxx(the django server uid) having reached kern.maxfiles.

Has anyone got any experience with this kind of setup and how to decide what the fault really is. In particular since the web can always out request any particular limit is there some way to make apache start refusing gracefully before things go critical.
--
Robin Becker