Hi,
I never used built-in bzip functionality of tar, but I like bzip2 more than gzip, so I just searched and found following:
    -j      (c mode only) Compress the resulting archive with bzip2(1).  In
extract or list modes, this option is ignored. Note that, unlike
            other tar implementations, this implementation recognizes bzip2
            compression automatically when reading archives.
and
    -y      (c mode only) Compress the resulting archive with bzip2(1).  In
extract or list modes, this option is ignored. Note that, unlike
            other tar implementations, this implementation recognizes bzip2
            compression automatically when reading archives.

what's going on there?

I tested the -j option, works good. I created a file.tar.bz2 and like the manpage describes, tar -cvf is enough to unpack the tarball,
Is that a FreeBSD feature, how is it on other platforms?
Is bzip2 used, or is that build in as a tar?

Cheers

-
Markus Klaschka
MKDev - Markus Klaschka Development
http://www.mkdev.eu

Spain:  0034 - 63 747 23 07
UK:
        0044 - 750 910 2718
Mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Skype:  mark-use
IRC: mark-use @ irc.freenode.net : #freebsd, ##security, #freebsd-src, #bsdforen.de, #bsdgroup.de